GE Money / GE Capital Retail Bank: Federal Banking Violations
Was offered an account at the vet's office in the middle of the night: emergency treatment for the dog. Had left my check book and major credit card at home in the rush of getting the animal to the hospital at 4AM before she died. I have an excellent credit rating so getting immediate approval was not a problem.
I charged the initial vet fee to the account in the middle of the night because that's what's necessary for the vets to treat the animal. And I paid the balance owed the next day with a personal check.
Before the GE Money credit card even came in the mail with the MANDATORY DISCLOSURE information federal law requires, the bill came. With a $35.00 charge for a late fee! When the bill came, I didn't even know what the interest rate was much less the late fee charges!
Without the MANDATORY DISCLOSURE information in compliance with federal law, the consumer has no idea what the charges for interest and penalities may be. Which is why companies offering credit have to DISCLOSE all of that to the consumer at the time credit is offered. No such information is available at the vet's office and none came BEFORE the first bill.
I have closed the account -- who wants to do business with a finance company which cannot comply with federal law? And before I closed it, I paid all of the actual charges for the one vet visit. But I didn't pay the initial late fee charged before the MANDATORY DISCLOSURE was provided to me.
And because I didn't pay the initial late fee -- and I called GE Money and told the rep why I wasn't paying that -- then another late fee was added to the first one!
GE Money reps are calling me now demanding the balance of what's charged on the account. And what's left on the account is $151.00. Which just happens to be the same amount as what's reported in the 2011 Totals Yeat-to-Date as "Total Fees Charged in 2011." In other words: the amount of the single purchase was paid, there were no interest charges and all that's left on the account are multiple late fees for refusing to pay late fees chaged without the MANDATORY DISCLOSURE.
An initial late fee charged in violation of federal law, followed by several more charged after the total of the purchases charged was paid is what's left on the account. And when the GE Money people call, they are vicious. Just vicious. Refuse to listen to what the consumer says even though they eventually are forced to agree that what the consumer says is what the law requires. Doesn't matter. And don't ask for a supervisor to get on the phone: from dealing with serveral reps, it sounds like there are no supervisors because one is never available or can't call back or can't come to the phone or is on lunch break. Ninety-six reasons are given why the consumer can't speak to a supervisor to sort out a problem.
I asked the last rep I spoke to on the phone whether the account had been reported to credit bureaus as delinquent or late. Rep refused to answer that question although she certainly knew the answer. Keeping information from the consumer does nothing positive to sort out problems. Just bad business.
Right now, I'm sending the whole mess about this account to the state concumer commission for investigation. And if I find out that there's a negative report from GE Money on my credit history for late payments after GE Money violated federal law, I'll send the matter on to federal banking authorities as well. It is absolutely a violation of federal law to impose interest charges or penalities of any kind in a consumer credit situation UNLESS and UNTIL the consumer is given the MANDATORY DISCLOSURE information which applies to any credit account.
My advice to anyone else: don't use GE Money or GE Capital Retail Bank or whatever they have changed the name to this week. It changes all the time and perhaps it has to be changed because there are so many public complaints!review #271985
You may also like
- "Seems that hundreds if not thousands of people have been mislead my Chase Home Loan - Modification Center, They claim they help homeowners stay in their home yet it seems..."
- "This company is horrible and should be investigated for breaking the laws when it comes to consumers money. I used them for my 2015 taxes and they held my money..."
- "This is how brazen GE Capital Retail Bank/Pay Pal Smart Connect/Pay Pal has gotten. They have been allowed to lie, steal, defraud, commit fraud, steal money, hide money, etc., etc...."
- "I went to hair cuttery in quakertown, pa to get a hair cut and asked for brown highlights , the lady bleached my hair ( full set ), my hair..."
- "My husband went to Wawa on Limestone Rd in Wilmington to get me a Roast beef Ciabatta for dinner at work since I work 11p-7am. I get to work and..."
- "I come home from a long day of work to see I have a Fed Ex delivery notice on my door...with everything blank except for the "other" regarding where the..."
- "After attempting to deal with customer service and getting no where I am posting my experience. The arrangent sent did not even equal $10 worth of flowers. The resolution provided..."
- "Ordered heart guard from petflow, when the package arrived I opened it at my mailbox in my car. The second I opened the box hundreds of ants swarmed out..."
- "I just financed a Samsung Galaxy S6 that is about $700. The girl at the store said my payments would be $40 every 2 weeks which is fine. The very..."